The White factory
During General Assembly in Łódź 17th – 19th October we will visit The White factory
The White Factory is one of the most important symbols of old Łódź and its textile history. The first mechanized spinning mill and cotton mill was established here. The first steam engine in the city started working in the White Factory, therefore the first factory chimney was built. The complex owes its name to its characteristic light-coloured plaster, which significantly distinguished it from other later, generally non-plastered factory buildings.
The three-storey factory building at ul. Piotrkowska 282 was built by Ludwik Geyer between 1835 and 1838. A little later (in 1847) a southern wing was added, and in 1886 the building was enlarged by an eastern wing. The four-winged factory with the Old Boiler House in the middle of the courtyard, with a high chimney, two dust towers and two water towers is an unparalleled industrial architecture solution, not found in other factories.
The process of revitalizing the object for various reasons was divided into many stages. The first repair and construction works concerned the oldest wings – western, northern and southern. Adaptation of the factory halls to the needs of the museum required the creation of exhibition spaces, storage and office space. It was probably the first in Poland and one of the first in the world adaptation of post-industrial architecture for museum purposes.
Over time, the Old Boiler House with the chimney, the steam room, the internal and the "cast iron" courtyards, and as a result of change of the preservation concept, the northern wing of the building, were restored to their old glory. The impressive eastern wing of the factory was renovated and developed for the purposes of a modern exhibition hall as the last. The Central Museum of Textiles in Łódź became the host only in 2002. Until then the newest and largest part of the factory was formally used by the “Eskimo” Cotton Industry Plant.
Currently, in the oldest west wing along Piotrkowska Street there are exhibition halls. The north section houses offices, conference rooms and magazines.